Fuse board (consumer unit) services
Replace old fuse boxes or repair operational units
Same day call out in SE postcodes
Rates from £65 per hour
If you’re experiencing tripping fuses or your fuse board is overheating, it’s important to get the problem addressed as soon as possible to avoid any potential safety hazards.
We will quickly identify and diagnose any faults with your consumer unit, and provide safe and effective solutions to get your electrical system back up and running.
One of the most critical components of your electrical system is the fuse board, which is responsible for distributing electricity to all the circuits in your building.
Over time, fuse boards can become outdated, damaged, or overloaded, leading to potential safety hazards such as electrical fires or shocks. That’s why it’s essential to have a qualified and certified electrician replace your fuse board when necessary.
At SE London Electrical, we follow a strict process to ensure that every fuse board replacement is done professionally and efficiently. Our experienced electricians will assess your current electrical system, recommend the appropriate replacement fuse board, and carry out the installation and testing to ensure that your system is safe and compliant with the latest electrical standards.
At SE London Electrical, safety is our top priority when it comes to fuse board replacement. We take every necessary precaution to ensure that the job is done safely and efficiently. Here are some safety measures we take:
- We always turn off the power supply before starting any work on the fuse board.
- We wear protective gear, such as rubber gloves and safety glasses, to protect ourselves from electrical hazards.
- We make sure that the area around the fuse board is clear of any flammable materials or objects that can cause a fire.
- We follow all safety guidelines and regulations set by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
- We use the proper tools and equipment to ensure that the job is done correctly and safely.
It is important to note that fuse board replacement should only be done by a qualified and certified electrician. Attempting to do it yourself can lead to serious injury or even death. Always hire a professional to do the job.
Our 5 step professional process
Step 1: Turn off the Power
Before starting any work on the fuse board, it is essential to turn off the power to ensure safety. We always recommend hiring a qualified and certified electrician, like SE London Electrical, to perform this task.
First, locate the main switch on the consumer unit and turn it off. This will cut off power to the entire house. If you are unsure which switch is the main switch, consult the user manual or contact a professional.
Next, use a voltage detector to ensure that there is no power running through the board. This is an essential step in ensuring your safety and the safety of those around you. Once you have confirmed that there is no power, you can proceed with replacing the fuse board.
It is important to remember that electricity is dangerous and can cause serious injury or even death. If you are unsure about any aspect of replacing your fuse board, do not hesitate to contact a qualified and certified electrician.
Step 2: Remove the Old Fuse Board
Removing the old fuse board is a crucial step in replacing it with a new one. This should only be done by a qualified and certified electrician, like SE London Electrical.
Before we start removing the old fuse board, we make sure to turn off the main power supply to avoid any electrical hazards. We then carefully remove the cover of the fuse board and disconnect all the wires attached to it.
Once all the wires are disconnected, we remove the old fuse board from the wall. This requires us to unscrew it from the wall and carefully lift it off its mountings. We make sure to dispose of the old fuse board in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.
After the old fuse board has been removed, we clean the area and prepare it for the installation of the new fuse board. This includes checking the wiring and making sure everything is in good condition and up to code.
Step 3: Install the New Fuse Board
Now that we have removed the old fuse board, it is time to install the new one. We will follow a set of standard procedures to ensure a professional job.
The first step is to place the new fuse board in the same location as the old one. We will make sure that the board is level and secure, and that it is not obstructed by any other objects. We will then connect the new board to the existing wiring, making sure that all connections are tight and secure.
Next, we will install the new fuses. We will make sure that each fuse is rated correctly and that it is placed in the correct position. We will also label each fuse with the corresponding circuit, making it easy to identify which circuit each fuse controls.
Once all of the fuses have been installed, we will test the new fuse board to ensure that it is working correctly. We will turn on each circuit one by one, making sure that each circuit is functioning as it should. We will also check the voltage levels to ensure that they are within the correct range.
Finally, we will replace the cover on the new fuse board. We will make sure that the cover is securely fastened and that it is not obstructing any of the fuses or circuits. We will also make sure that the cover is labelled with the correct information, including the rating of the fuses and the circuits that they control.
Overall, the installation of a new fuse board is a complex task that requires a high level of skill and expertise. By following these standard procedures, we can ensure that the job is done correctly and safely, and that the new fuse board will provide reliable service for many years to come.
Step 4: Connect the Wiring
Once the fuse board has been securely installed, it’s time to connect the wiring. This is a crucial step that requires careful attention to detail to ensure that everything is connected properly and safely. Here are the steps we follow to connect the wiring:
- First, we carefully remove the old wiring from the old fuse board. This can be a time-consuming process, but it’s important to do it right to avoid any potential safety hazards.
- Next, we connect the new wiring to the new fuse board. We use high-quality cables and connectors to ensure a secure and reliable connection.
- We then carefully label each wire to make it clear which circuit it belongs to. This is important for future maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Once all the wiring has been connected and labelled, we double-check everything to make sure there are no loose connections or other issues.
- Finally, we turn the power back on and test each circuit to make sure everything is working properly. We also check for any potential safety hazards, such as overheating or electrical arcing.
Connecting the wiring is a critical step in the fuse board replacement process. It requires a high level of skill and attention to detail to ensure that everything is connected safely and reliably. At SE London Electrical, we take great care to make sure that every job is done right the first time.
Step 5: Test the Fuse Board
Before we can replace the fuse board, we need to test it to ensure it’s functioning properly. This is an important step to prevent any electrical hazards or malfunctions. Here are the steps we take to test the fuse board:
- Turn off the power supply to the fuse board. This can be done by switching off the main power switch.
- Remove the cover of the fuse board. This will give us access to the fuses and circuit breakers.
- Visually inspect the fuses and circuit breakers for any signs of damage or wear and tear. If any of them appear damaged or burnt out, they will need to be replaced.
- Use a multimeter or continuity tester to check the fuses and circuit breakers. Touch each end of the fuse or circuit breaker with a probe of the multimeter set at RX1 (resistance times 1) or with a continuity tester. The fuse or circuit breaker should show continuity, the passage of electricity through the fuse or circuit breaker.
- If any of the fuses or circuit breakers fail the continuity test, they will need to be replaced.
- Check the voltage of the fuse board to ensure it’s within the required range. This can be done using a voltmeter.
- Once we’ve completed the testing and any necessary replacements, we can put the cover back on the fuse board and turn the power supply back on.
Testing the fuse board is an important step in ensuring the safety and efficiency of your electrical system. By following these steps, we can identify any issues and make any necessary repairs or replacements to ensure your electrical system is functioning properly.
Replacing a fuse board is a complex electrical task that should only be carried out by a qualified and certified electrician. At SE London Electrical, we have the expertise and experience to carry out this job professionally and safely.
Our team of experts follows a strict procedure when replacing a fuse board to ensure that the job is done right the first time. We start by assessing the existing electrical system and identifying any potential hazards. We then switch off the main power supply and remove the existing fuse board.
Next, we install the new fuse board, making sure that all connections are secure and that the board is properly grounded. We then test the system to ensure that it is working correctly and safely. Finally, we provide our clients with a certificate of compliance to prove that the work has been carried out to the highest standards.
At SE London Electrical, we pride ourselves on our professionalism, reliability, and commitment to customer satisfaction. We understand that replacing a fuse board can be a daunting task, which is why we are here to help. Our team of experts is always on hand to answer any questions you may have and to provide you with the best possible advice.
If you need help with fuse board installation or repair, don’t hesitate to contact us. Our team is always ready to help, and we are confident that we can provide you with the best possible service.